Output Amperage: 60-125 Amps
Input Voltage: 120 Volt
Input Amperage: 20 Amps
Weight: 38 pounds
Duty Cycle: 90A AC @17V, 20%
Weldable Metal Thickness: 18 Gauge-3/16 Inches
If you have got some experience with MIG welding and decided to take the game to the next level, you will love the features and performance of this one. Chicago Electric flux 125 welding machine is a reliable, durable, and compact tool. Read my full review to know why this is the perfect FCAW welder for newbies.
- Possible to use in outdoors
- Portable and durable
- Easy to set up and use
- Affordable and competitive price
- Built-in overload protection ensures component safety
- Not so lightweight
- Only 20% duty cycle
Features and Descriptions
While researching about this FCAW welder, I have listed and described the features in the following flux 125 welder review. You should know them too as it would give a clear idea about this tool’s capability and performance.
The first and most vital factor is the capability of this machine. By knowing the output amperage range, you will be able to identify the minimum and maximum thickness of the weldable material.
As it can provide up to 125 amps in its output, you can weld up to 3/16” thick steel without any problem. Actually, you can weld from 0.047” metals to 0.187” metals.
However, I recommend this one for using only DIY projects or smaller non-significant tasks because of the bulky and messier finish. Low power output is also responsible for such dissatisfactory results. Other than that, you won’t have to worry about the strength of the joint.
Besides how thick metal the welder can weld, the capability of the tool also depends on the duty cycle. Let’s talk about that.
For those who can’t remember what the duty cycle is, I am going to describe it in short for them. A specific duty cycle value of a welder means how long it would operate at the given output.
Here, I am going to explain this machine’s capacity. According to the manufacturer, it has a 20% duty cycle at 90A AC at 17V. We can assume that the tool runs 2 minutes providing 90 amp output at 17V. As duty cycles are calculated 10 minutes interval, 20% means 2 minutes.
After passing the time limit, the device would automatically get shut down to cool the components. When it is cooled down (usually after 8 minutes for Chicago Electric Flux 125), you can continue welding.
Now you know how long the machine can weld thick metals continuously. However, one should also consider the portability as it is not possible to sit in one place and complete the welding. Now, I am going to describe the features and benefits of the Chicago Electric flux 125 welding machine in the next point.
The biggest benefit of using this tool is its ability to weld outside. The portable, durable, and compact design lets you carry it all around the job site. Also, the flux-cored welding doesn’t need gas making it suitable for windy areas.
Furthermore, as a beginner, you should select a welder that is not complex to set up and operate. Next, I have focused on that matter because learners need to concentrate more on a cleaner welding skill rather than keep adjusting settings.
What I like about this flux 125 welder from Chicago Electric is the automatic wire feeder. Moreover, the gun has a trigger to control the feed speed for optimal welding performance.
For your convenience, the manufacturer provides a spool of flux-cored wire which you can easily set up. Open up the top lid, place the reel, and lead it to the rollers. After pressing the gun’s trigger, a motorized mechanism gets activated, and you would see the wire coming out of the head a few seconds later.
I have covered almost all important aspects of this Flux-cored welding machine. Now, let’s get to know what safety measures Chicago Electric is offering in this model.
Some of the older models don’t come with cooling fans and some come with very inefficient ones. So, cooling has been a real issue for heavy welders. However, you don’t have to face such an issue with this one. Because the real-life performance of its cooling fan lets you weld after passing the duty cycle limit.
Nonetheless, you should not overclock the performance as it can decrease the life of the welder. For more safety and security, Chicago Electric has included overload protection in the machine to prevent overheating.
Before wrapping up the review, knowing how much it is going to cost you compared to the features and competitor models would help you make a final decision. If you check my link, you will find it cheaper than what Harbor Freight is charging.
Also, the items that are included in the package make it one of the best budget models in the market. The long list has everything so that you can weld right after taking it out of the box. However, you should not expect high-quality accessories. For example, you should buy a welding helmet separately.
That was all. Let me know in the comments what decision you have taken reading my Chicago Electric flux 125 welder review. You can also tell me what you have liked and disliked about this machine.
How to Set Up Chicago Electric Flux 125 Welder
I have already told you that setting up this machine is very easy. Following the steps below, you will be ready to weld in no time.
- Firstly, read the instruction manual to get familiarized with the parts and process.
- Secondly, unbox the different accessories and the machine to have a clear understanding of what else you need to buy or arrange. For example, the welding helmet that comes with the package is no good.
- Thirdly, open the top lid by pressing a small button on the top-front part of the welder.
- Fourthly, tighten the screw of the handle that would help you carry the machine around easily.
- After that, you can take off the outer portion of the gun head because it uses flux-cored wires which don’t need gas; hence, the gas nozzle becomes unnecessary.
- Now, it is time to add the wire, and the process starts by taking off the tip.
- Next, take the reel and hold the open-end on one hand, place it in its distinguished place. Also, don’t forget to tighten the screw after putting it down.
Tip: Starting from holding the open-end of the wire to placing it in the automatic-feed mechanism, don’t let the coil get loose.
- Here, you should read the manual to pass it through the feeding system.
- Finally, power the machine, press the trigger, and you would see that the wire is coming out of the gun after a few moments. Reinstall the tip, and you are ready to weld.
You can also use different flux-cored wires but make sure that the tip also matches the diameter of the wire.
|Total Score: 9.1||Affordable
Outdoor usability, affordability, portability, reliability, and safety features make the Chicago Electric flux 125 welding machine perfect for beginners.
|Overall Quality: 8.1|
- Best Harbor Freight TIG welders [Top 4 Picks In 2021]
- Best TIG Welder For Aluminum: Buying Guide In 2021!
- 5 Best MIG Welder For 1/2″ Steel: (Reviews In 2021)
- Brazing Vs Welding Aluminum: Which One Metal-Joining Process Winner?
- Stick Welding Vs Flux Core: Which One Is The Winner Arc Welding?
- Gorilla Epoxy Vs JB Weld: The Ultimate Battle Of Two Epoxy Adhesives!